France-Canada Youth Mobility Agreement [fr]

- Youth mobility agreement

- For the French version, click here : Accord mobilité des Jeunes


- Kylee talks about her experience as a student in France.

You’ve been working, studying, travelling in France? We want to hear from you!
Share your story "à la française"! HERE

A. General information

On March 14th, 2013, the French and Canadian governments signed a new youth mobility agreement that will replace the Franco-Canadian agreement signed on October 3rd, 2003.

The current agreement aims to simplify and facilitate the administrative procedures applicable to young French and Canadian people who wish to visit the other country in order to improve their understanding of that country’s language, culture, and society through an experience focused on tourism, academic study, internships, or employment.

For young Canadians, this agreement applies to both the European and overseas territories (Martinique, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Réunion, Mayotte) of the Republic of France and to the territory of St. Pierre and Miquelon. It does not apply to the territories of Saint Martin or Saint-Barthélemy, certain overseas territories (French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna), or the French Southern and Antarctic Territories.

French people wishing to visit Canada should consult the Embassy of Canada in Paris.

The maximum duration of such visits is limited to 36 months, in accordance with the conditions outlined in the 2013 agreement.

Following a first 12-month or 24-month visit, Canadian participants can prolong such visits to a maximum duration of 36 months if one of these periods was a study period.

Young Canadians can take part in up to two visits as Young Professionals or Working Holiday Program participants within a limit of 24 months. After this 24-month period, Canadians in such a position can extend the maximum duration of their stay to 36 months by pursuing a study period.

After a first visit, young Canadians can also apply for one or two supplementary visit periods if they are carried out under the study and work experience categories. In such cases, the total duration of these periods will be 12 months, within the maximum limit of 36 months.

Work Holiday Visa and Young Professional trips can take place over a continuous or discontinuous period of 24 months. They may also be followed by a 12-month study or internship period.

Study and internship visits can take place over a maximum of 36 periods, whether continuously or otherwise.

Visas issued by the Consulate General of France will be valid for a period of 12 months, with the possibility of extending it for a maximum of 24 additional months. Individuals interested in obtaining this type of visa must contact the préfecture of their area of residence in France (two months before the expiration date of the first visa).
Once the 36 months have elapsed, Canadians are required to return to Canada.
Upon their return to Canada, Canadian students who benefited from this agreement for a 36-month period can, if they choose, pursue further study in France. To do so, they must apply for a long-stay visa for private study.

B. Visa types

  • Young professionals, students, and interns:

Provided that they meet all relevant conditions, the Consulate will provide applicants with a Visa long séjour valant titre de séjour corresponding to each of the three types of visas. These are long-stay visas that are equivalent to France’s titre de séjour. These visas have a maximum first duration of 12 months.

Within the first weeks of their arrival in France, applicants will be required to contact the Office français de l’immigration et de l’intégration (OFII) to validate their long-stay visa and to undergo a medical examination. No other process is required in France while the visa is valid.

In order to extend their visit, applicants will be required to visit the préfecture of their area of residence two months before the expiry date of their visas.

IMPORTANT : Applicants must provide an address in France when they submit their visa application at the Consulate. This information must be provided on the long-stay visa application form and on the OFII form so that the OFII can contact visa recipients so as to continue the process within a reasonable period of time.
  • Work Holiday Visa (PVT) participants:

As holders of a temporary long-stay visa, these individuals are only subject to one particular requirement: they must present themselves at the préfecture of their place of residence, two months before the expiry date of their visa, to request an extension for their stay, if they wish.

You will find below all the information necessary for young Canadians who wish to travel to France under this agreement.

I- Primary eligibility conditions for Canadians

Applicants must:

• Be between the ages of 18 and 35 as of the application date;

• Hold a Canadian passport that is valid for at least six months past the end date of the visit;

• Provide proof of sufficient financial resources for any initial expenses to be incurred at the start of their stay and to allow them to leave the country that they are visiting at any time during their stay;

• Agree to pay any fees and taxes as provided for in legislation;

• Produce all documents necessary to support their visa request;

• Provide proof of insurance covering, at least, health care (including hospitalization) and repatriation (provincial insurance + and repatriation travel insurance) for the entirety of their stay. This is particularly true of interns and Working Holiday Program participants, as they may not be eligible for complete coverage under the French social security system, if they are able to register with this system at all. Young professionals and students are strongly encouraged to ensure that they are thoroughly covered for such risks by a social security or other insurance policy. Furthermore, it is recommended that applicants sign up for liability insurance; and

• (For young professionals) Provide proof of any of the following documents: a contract of employment; a diploma; training or professional experience lasting at least twelve months of the past three years; and, if necessary, written authorization to pursue their professional activity or written recognition of professional qualifications.

II- Categories of the agreement

Young Professional Development (3A visa )

This type of visa is meant for young professionals interested in obtaining initial experience or further development under a limited work contract in their field of activity and in improving their understanding of the French language, culture, and society.

This program also applies to Canadians who have received an offer to take part in Canadian duty-to-remember programs in the Juno Beach or Vimy regions.

- Duration of stay indicated on the visa: 4–12 months (with possibility for on-site extension of 12 months. This can be followed by an additional 12-month study or internship period)

PDF - 1.1 Mb
Download the 3A VISA application kit (Updated August 2017)
(PDF - 1.1 Mb)
Inter-university exchanges (3B visa )

This type of visa applies to young Canadian students wishing to complete part of their university studies in an establishment in France as part of an inter-university agreement.

- Duration of stay indicated on the visa: 4–12 months (with possibility of two on-site extensions of 12 months each)

PDF - 1.2 Mb
Download the 3B VISA application kit (Updated June 2017)
(PDF - 1.2 Mb)
Practical Internship (3C visa )

This type of visa applies to young Canadians wishing to pursue a practical internship as part of their studies or their training.

The internship conditions must be defined by a tripartite internship agreement between the home establishment in Canada, the host establishment in France, and the student.

- Duration of stay indicated on the visa: 4–12 months (with possibility of two on-site extensions of 12 months each)

PDF - 1.1 Mb
Download the 3C VISA application kit (Updated June 2017)
(PDF - 1.1 Mb)
Work Holiday Visa (WHV - PVT) (3D visa )

This type of visa is meant for young Canadians who wish to explore the culture of France as tourists and to find temporary paid employment to help pay for their stay.

- Duration of stay indicated on the visa: 4–12 months (with possibility for on-site extension of 12 months. This can be followed by an additional 12-month study or internship period)

PDF - 870.5 kb
Download the 3D VISA application kit (Updated June 2017)
(PDF - 870.5 kb)

III – Two-step process


Download the application package for the desired type of visa. Carefully prepare your two application dossiers and submit them to the Consulate General of France responsible for the region of Canada in which you reside. This information is provided below.

You can submit your application up to three months before your expected date of departure to France.

No dossier handling fees will be charged.

NOTE : Please consult the websites of the respective consulates general for information about how to access their visa services (appointments, application by correspondence, etc.) )

-  Residents of Ontario and Manitoba:

Consulate General of France in Toronto
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 2200
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
(416) 847 1900
(416) 847 1901

-  Residents of Québec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, Labrador, and Nunavut:

As of 18 April 2018, visa applicants will submit their applications to the Centre VFS de Montréal , located 1010 rue Sherbrooke, 8ème étage, Montréal.

Visa applicants will be received exclusively by appointment, which can be taken starting Wednesday, April 4, 2018 on the France-Visas official website for visa application to France

-  Residents of British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Saskatchewan:

Consulate General of France in Vancouver
1130 West Pender, suite 1100
Vancouver, Colombie Britannique V6E 4A4
(604) 637 5300
(604) 637 5301


When the visas issued by the consulate expire, young Canadians will be required to visit the préfecture of their place of residence in France to request authorization to extend their stay in France under the 2013 Franco-Canadian youth exchange agreement.

The préfecture will then issue a temporary carte de séjour that will be valid for a maximum of 12 months for young professionals (the document will indicate temporary worker status), students (student status), and interns (intern status).

For students, interns, and for young professionals, when this document expires, it can be renewed one last time. The maximum total period of validity is 36 months.

Working Holiday Program participants will receive temporary authorization for a one-year residence permit. They will also be exempt from requirements regarding work permits issued by DIRECCTE. The absence of a temporary work permit, which is no longer required, does not exempt your employer in France from registering a work contract with the relevant organization; you will register with the social security system as an employee through your employer.

No special provisions exist for the dependents of beneficiaries of the agreement, but they may, if they fulfill the necessary conditions, request a visa as provided for in this agreement (ex: Working Holiday Program) or a long-stay “Visitor” tourism visa. These visas are valid for periods greater than 90 days. (Please visit the website of each respective consulate).
Important : 2003 Agreement. Though this agreement is no longer in effect, young Canadians who previously benefited from a visa under the 2003 agreement, but only in the young professional category, may request an extension of their stay directly from the préfecture of their place of residence, within the limits established by the 2003 agreement.

IV – Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions regarding the implementation of the France-Canada Youth Mobility (for Canadian citizens)

Last modified on 01/10/2019

top of the page